The Ethereum Foundation (EF) is looking for a Chief of Staff / BizOps Generalist.
Location: The entire organization is remote. Being able to work PST hours (plus or minus 3 hours) is preferred but not required.
About the EF:
The Ethereum Foundation (EF) is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting Ethereum and related technologies.
The EF is not a company, or even a traditional non-profit. We do not control Ethereum, nor are we the only organization that funds critical development of Ethereum-related technologies. We are part of a large ecosystem of organizations, individuals, and companies that support Ethereum.
Our mission is to do what is best for Ethereum’s long-term success. Our role is to allocate resources to critical projects, to be a valued voice within the Ethereum ecosystem, and to advocate for Ethereum to the outside world.
About the role:
The EF has a broad mandate: to support the Ethereum ecosystem and protocol. As a result, there’s a huge amount of breadth and diversity in the work we do. The EF is a community of teams that contribute to the Ethereum ecosystem in many different ways - from building & maintaining products, to creating educational materials, to funding work through grants.
This loose structure is intentional, but comes with its own challenges. It requires careful thinking in designing our internal systems, organizational structures, and communication.
Given the diversity of projects the EF works on, there is some flexibility in terms of which areas of the organization this person focuses on. The role will be defined in more detail to match the candidate’s unique backgrounds and interests, and will evolve over time.
This person will work closely with Josh Stark. At the EF, Josh is focused on improving the EF as an organization, ensuring it has the capacity to serve our particular role in the ecosystem. Previously, Josh founded two Ethereum-based startups - ETHGlobal and L4.
Some sample projects you might work on:
- Helping to manage internal & external relationships. The Ethereum ecosystem is very collaborative, and we work closely with many external companies, groups, and individuals. There is frequently a need for someone to be a primary point of contact, manage the relationship, or project-manage collaborative work
- Research projects related to crypto. For example: figuring out the current “state of the art” with certain types of ethereum wallets. Typically this would involve self directed research as well as working through our network of contacts & collaborators to learn from the experts, before writing up or presenting a summary
- Research projects related to organizational development. For example: We might want to understand what the best practices exist for distributed / remote organizations, so that we can learn from others’ experiences. We might ask you to go find the best 5 write ups on this topic, and write out the benefits and negatives of the different strategies we could implement
- Work closely with Josh to download the context he has from working with different parts of the organization, and then help take some of that work off his plate
- Work with Josh on writing projects related to the Ethereum ecosystem
Some backgrounds / skills that might be a good fit
- No experience in crypto required! Non-traditional, non-crypto backgrounds are encouraged
- Open to a wide range of experience, including those with little or no work experience
- People who are mission-driven and not looking for the spotlight. The EF is intentionally very humble and low-profile. We’ve adopted a philosophy of “subtraction” - we resist the natural tendency of an organization to accumulate power and prestige
- Experience in unstructured environments that provide deep autonomy
- Strong writing skills
- Passion for improving processes and building effective organizations
Why this might be an incredible opportunity:
- We are extremely mission driven -- people work at the EF because we believe in the impact Ethereum can have on the world. . We are here because we believe in what we’re doing, and want to work in a place with other people who feel the same
- We have an extremely flexible work environment and culture. There is also room to evolve and grow -- as the organization changes over time, new roles open up, jobs shift and adapt, and there are opportunities to grow and gain more responsibility
- As the Ethereum ecosystem has expanded, new opportunities for impact appear - both inside the EF, and outside of it in the broader Ethereum ecosystem. This is a major opportunity for personal & professional growth
Why this might *not* be an incredible opportunity:
- This is an extremely open-ended role that will evolve over time. If you need structure or stability or want to be told what to do every day, this will not be a good fit
- You want to be in the spotlight. This will be a very “behind the scenes” internal operations role, without much of a public presence